Most Active

Help   
  Home

Help/Advice looking at a possible Claims Adjuster Career
P:  3/9/2009 8:43:21 PM
Kdubber2020

Total Posts: 8
Last Post: 4/2/2010

Hello all, just like the title states I'm looking at becoming a Claims Adjuster. My background is as an Auto body Collision tech. I did that for about 4 years(no tech school, all self taught!) before switching over to my current job as a Auto/RV/Bike Extended Warranty Mechanical Claims Adjuster. Now I like my job but I however can't see myself doing it for the rest of my life. I ultimately would like to be an Auto body Collision Claims Adjuster for a body shop(unless I'm mistaken and this not the best career choice for Claims Adjusting).

I would like to get all the pro/con's of each please

- Auto body Collision Adjuster (either insurance claims or at a body shop)
- Property/Housing Adjuster(I know very little about this so be kind please haha)
- Strictly Insurance Adjusting via Major/Minor Firm

What I'm looking for as well is the best training, what school to attend for training in my area (Colorado)
as well as what my expected income is as a new guy.

I've stumbled upon this website for training, anyone have any experience with them - http://www.adjusterpro.com/

I would like to make at least 50k/yr, if I can make a solid 50k/yr and help myself(as well as others) in the process as well as have a solid career that would be great.

Looking forward to all your opinions/advice/constructive criticism(hopefully lol).

Thanks in advance all.

I also have aim and yahoo messenger if you would like to chat that way. See ya.

Revisions : 0   |    Posted:  3/9/2009 8:43:21 PM   |   IP:  Recorded    |    Report this post

There are 16 replies to this message.  There are 16 replies on this page.

P: 3/11/2009 7:27:19 PM
Kdubber2020

30 posts and no respone? I need some good honest opinions and experience here fella/ladie's! Thanks!

Revisions : 0   |    Posted:  3/11/2009 7:27:19 PM    |    IP:  Recorded    |    Report this post
P: 3/16/2009 6:09:39 PM
TRon

Total Posts: 283
Last Post: 7/6/2012

As a new auto appraiser 50K is a high reach.

As a new property adjuster 50K is a high reach.

With some training in either areas and then some years you will reach that and exceed it as a staffer.

Search all the forums you can find, there are several. Expect to be hit hard by the seasoned adjusters, as they do not like newbies, nor this subject. You are stating you want to compete with them.

Get a license in you state first, then search more for the training you want.

Good Luck !!

I Post Large, it is easy on old eyes!!

Revisions : 0   |    Posted:  3/16/2009 6:09:39 PM    |    IP:  Recorded    |    Report this post
P: 3/16/2009 9:27:23 PM
Kdubber2020

50k is a goal not an immediate need! I appreciate the info Tron, so what forums do you recommend as this is the only one I know of or have been able to find for that matter. So you said to get a state license first? What is the best way to go about this? Sorry for my complete newbieness here I'm just trying to absorb as much as possible! Thanks!

Revisions : 0   |    Posted:  3/16/2009 9:27:23 PM    |    IP:  Recorded    |    Report this post
P: 3/18/2009 3:36:48 PM
TRon

Total Posts: 283
Last Post: 7/6/2012

Check with the Department of Insurance in your State for requirements.

WWW.ClaimsMentor.com is a closed online forum for newbie training.

There are also schools to attend for adjuster training.

I Post Large, it is easy on old eyes!!

Revisions : 0   |    Posted:  3/18/2009 3:36:48 PM    |    IP:  Recorded    |    Report this post
P: 3/19/2009 11:55:19 PM
Kdubber2020

Since you seem to be the only one interested in helping me Tron do you have a instant messenger program to make this easier? I went onto Claims Mentor but as you said it is locked and I can not register apparently since they are not accepting new applicants?

Revisions : 0   |    Posted:  3/19/2009 11:55:19 PM    |    IP:  Recorded    |    Report this post
P: 3/21/2009 9:26:50 PM
Huskercat

Total Posts: 146
Last Post: 12/28/2011

To answer your question about lack of responses...IMHO, you didn't show enough seriousness about it as evidenced by the post closings and the "Baby Hulk Hogan" photo in your profile.  That kind of stuff can & will fly with most of us, but only after you've been in the ring. 

TRON gave you about all the advice you can get for now.  Another website for you to look at is CADO.org, but it is predominantly slanted toward the catastrophe field, with a lot of travel & uncertainty involved.   Be sure to read the forum archives going back to '04 & earlier, not just the current forums.  You'll find all the pro's & cons you ever wanted to know, and it will keep you busy for several hours/days if you read them all.      

Revisions : 0   |    Posted:  3/21/2009 9:26:50 PM    |    IP:  Recorded    |    Report this post
P: 3/22/2009 8:18:29 PM
Kdubber2020

"That kind of stuff can & will fly with most of us, but only after you've been in the ring.  "

Fixed!

Also CADO.org seems to be either down or the wrong url?

I guess I will search and find the info I need. From what I've gathered so far I need to get my state license first and then try and work for an insurance company? I'm thinking that I will getting my Colorado license and my Xactimate training here so I have at least a stepping stone to possibly get a job with an insurance company. Tell me if I'm doing something wrong/need to add some additional training etc.

Revisions : 0   |    Posted:  3/22/2009 8:18:29 PM    |    IP:  Recorded    |    Report this post
P: 3/24/2009 1:02:15 PM
sebner

Total Posts: 21
Last Post: 3/31/2009

The correct url is www.catadjuster.org

(CADO is short for CatAdjusterDotOrg)

Revisions : 0   |    Posted:  3/24/2009 1:02:15 PM    |    IP:  Recorded    |    Report this post
P: 3/24/2009 8:38:54 PM
Huskercat

Thanks for correcting me, Steve.  I had it saved in my favorites otherwise.

By the way, Dubber...you won't find much in the line of auto adjusting on that site, but it will help you on the property side.  Since you're from Colorado, ever heard of Vale?  Adjusting school extraordinare. 

Revisions : 0   |    Posted:  3/24/2009 8:38:54 PM    |    IP:  Recorded    |    Report this post
P: 3/29/2009 9:44:13 PM
Kdubber2020

No I have not. Is it in vail as I'm quite a distance from vail? So I basically need to get my state license and Xacimate training, then apply at some bigger insurance companies? Sorry for all the general questions I'm just beginning here. I have a friend who is an insurance agent she said to basically apply at all the bigger companies and see if anyone in training me. She said I would basically be working in a call center environment at first before i become a field claims adjuster.

Revisions : 0   |    Posted:  3/29/2009 9:44:13 PM    |    IP:  Recorded    |    Report this post
P: 3/31/2009 11:03:31 AM
sebner

Total Posts: 21
Last Post: 3/31/2009

Racko, my friend,

I am sorry to once again have to correct a misconception.  The fact that the Dubmeister is in Colorado has little to do with his ability to go to Vale National, which has three locations -- 1. Camp Hill, PA, 2. Fresno, CA and 3. Arlington, TX.  Should he arrive in Vail, he will likely be too late to ski and too early to fish.  He will be hard pressed, however, to find an estimating school there.

Revisions : 0   |    Posted:  3/31/2009 11:03:31 AM    |    IP:  Recorded    |    Report this post
P: 3/31/2009 12:04:10 PM
wworkman

Total Posts: 12
Last Post: 5/20/2010

to correct the above posts:

VAIL - is a city in Colorado

VALE National - is located in TX, PA and CA.

If you're not a staff adjuster, you will need to pay about $2500 for a two week training. You will also have to pay to get there and hotel there for the two weeks.

Cheers

Revisions : 0   |    Posted:  3/31/2009 12:04:10 PM    |    IP:  Recorded    |    Report this post
P: 3/31/2009 2:55:21 PM
Huskercat

Who said Vale was in Colorado, Steve?   Not me.  

Revisions : 0   |    Posted:  3/31/2009 2:55:21 PM    |    IP:  Recorded    |    Report this post
P: 4/1/2009 1:07:33 AM
dcmarlin

Total Posts: 26
Last Post: 8/22/2011

This is Vail! 

Vale East

And this is Vale!

Any Questions?

View Revisions : 2   |    Posted:  4/1/2009 1:07:33 AM    |    IP:  Recorded    |    Report this post
P: 4/2/2009 3:12:31 PM
Dimechimes

Total Posts: 17
Last Post: 4/2/2009

You are welcome to join CliamSmentor still where we post all of the known info on classes and good training at reasonable prices that we are aware of in the claims industry. The link with the registration info is on the bottom of the home page and here is a direct link to the info:

We also answer all of the types of questions you made in your original post on our adjuster information blog which does not require login at www.dimechimes.wordpress.com . Just down the right column and click on any of the tag names on topics you are looking for such as adjuster income, auto claim training, and other topics.

As far as your question about another site, with any site or before paying for any class or program, I'd highly recommend you check out the references of the instructor or website owner. Find out how many years of claims adjusting experience they do have. Also on the estimate software classes such as Xactimate, you can go to the www.xactware.com site and look for their list of certified trainers that have qualified to be teaching through the software owner Xactware as they have a Level I, II, III, and Train the Trainers program that a qualified Xactimate instructor has to go through before being certified by Xactware to teach their classes. The other classes you are taking a chance without finding out the actual authority and experience level of the instructor. We highly recommend you participate only in classes put on by folks with 10 plus years of experience in the claims industry as well as making sure they have a blended background of field claims, claim central operations, claims management, and preferably staff adjuster and staff management experience as they have the most well rounded backgrounds to know what a carrier really expects versus what you can get by with.

After working with thousands of trainees through ClaimSmentor, I have learned there is quite a bit of wrong information shared with new adjusters in classes so be careful who you take your training from by checking out the background of the instructor. If the course has CE's, they are required to have instructors that have been qualified by the state to meet atleast some minimum standards as well so research before you spend valuable dollars on courses of little to no value. There is an ever growing field of new classes cropping up and they are not all classes presented by very experienced people who should be teaching.

Dimechimes Claims Staffing and Claim Training
www.Dimechimes.com
Proud sponsors of ClaimSmentor
www.ClaimSmentor.com
www.dimechimes.wordpress.com
www.linkedin.com/in/dimechimesclaimsmentor

Revisions : 0   |    Posted:  4/2/2009 3:12:31 PM    |    IP:  Recorded    |    Report this post
P: 4/12/2009 2:05:43 PM
Kdubber2020

Thanks for all the info sir! Both of the sites have been very beneficial and informative. I'm still not sure on what school to go to yet but at least I have more knowledge on what school might be best for me. Thanks again!

Revisions : 0   |    Posted:  4/12/2009 2:05:43 PM    |    IP:  Recorded    |    Report this post

Previous Page
Next Page 

Jump to:

Contact Us  |  Back Home  

Ideal BB Version: 0.1.5.3cMessage forum software powered by  the Ideal BB