Most Active

Help   
  Home

Experienced Property examiners - Tampa
P:  4/2/2010 4:06:13 PM
Islindini

Total Posts: 18
Last Post: 4/3/2010

Where have all the experienced property claim examiners in Florida gone?  We are desperately trying to find some decent ones and the only applications we seem to be getting are from auto and field adjusters. 

Revisions : 0   |    Posted:  4/2/2010 4:06:13 PM   |   IP:  Recorded    |    Report this post

There are 13 replies to this message.  There are 13 replies on this page.

P: 4/2/2010 4:49:52 PM
Kevin Hromas

Total Posts: 79
Last Post: 12/15/2010

Islindini,

I hope it was merely an oversite, but you seemed to insinuate that "field adjusters" were not qualified to become "claims examiners"???

The "field adjuster" is the PRIMARY person in the claims loop that is responsible for delivering ALL of the marketing promises that were made to convince someone to purchase insurance from a particular carrier. An extended tour in the "field" should be a mandatory part of EVERY claims person's training within a carrier organization ... most assurdedly those who purport to be a "claims examiner".

I would also recommend that every licensed adjuster within a claims department all the way up the management level be required to handle a first-party claim of their own from start to finish at least once a quarter. Far too many "managers" have lost sight of the challenges faced by the "field adjusters" each and every day.

Many of the "field adjusters" that I personally know have forgotten more about the policy contract and claims administration than a lot of "claims examiners" know in the first place.

Kevin Hromas - JD, RPA, PLCS
Executive General Adjuster
Houston, TX

Kevin Hromas - JD,EGA,RPA,PLCS,WIND Umpire
Houston, TX

www.KevinHromas.com

Revisions : 0   |    Posted:  4/2/2010 4:49:52 PM    |    IP:  Recorded    |    Report this post
P: 4/3/2010 11:10:15 AM
TRon

Total Posts: 283
Last Post: 7/6/2012

I ask:

Why are you looking for one? 

I Post Large, it is easy on old eyes!!

View Revisions : 1   |    Posted:  4/3/2010 11:10:15 AM    |    IP:  Recorded    |    Report this post
P: 4/3/2010 6:00:02 PM
Islindini

Speaking from many years of experience as an inside adjuster/examiner/manager. I respectfully disagree that a successful examiner has to have been in the field.  I also know that field adjusters do not necessarily make good claims examiners - many have a very hard time focusing on the policy, the statutory requirements and getting all that is needed to adjust a claim satisfactorily - Florida is a totally different environment and you have to be on the ball. 

And no, we do not pay $25k - a good examiner can make way way more than that and we are competitive.

We have ads on Great Insurance Jobs and Insurance Claims Webs- we'd love qualified examiners to apply.

Revisions : 0   |    Posted:  4/3/2010 6:00:02 PM    |    IP:  Recorded    |    Report this post
P: 4/3/2010 6:04:02 PM
Islindini

We are hiring because we are growing. I'm not sure why you made an implication about how we treat our staff, you seem very bitter.  We have tried numerous agencies and adverts. 

Revisions : 0   |    Posted:  4/3/2010 6:04:02 PM    |    IP:  Recorded    |    Report this post
P: 4/5/2010 11:48:04 AM
TRon

Total Posts: 283
Last Post: 7/6/2012

You are right, I was wrong, I have edited accordingly. I did not mean to bash your company, as I do not which company that would be.

I have heard of many stories which lead me to post as I did. Congratulations on your growing company. I wish you the best in locating good qualified examiners. I know of many in the Central Florida area. All of them are employed at this time. I did look on Great Insurance Jobs and could not determine which advertisement was yours. 

Many have gone on to other areas of work, and have left the high demands of a 150+ file inventory. In the past few years, jobs in this area have been difficult to secure.

I Post Large, it is easy on old eyes!!

Revisions : 0   |    Posted:  4/5/2010 11:48:04 AM    |    IP:  Recorded    |    Report this post
P: 4/5/2010 6:33:28 PM
mbernier40508

Total Posts: 11
Last Post: 5/24/2010

Date: 4/3/2010 6:00:02 PM Author: Islindini
Speaking from many years of experience as an inside adjuster/examiner/manager. I respectfully disagree that a successful examiner has to have been in the field.  I also know that field adjusters do not necessarily make good claims examiners - many have a very hard time focusing on the policy, the statutory requirements and getting all that is needed to adjust a claim satisfactorily - Florida is a totally different environment and you have to be on the ball. 
And no, we do not pay $25k - a good examiner can make way way more than that and we are competitive.
We have ads on Great Insurance Jobs and Insurance Claims Webs- we'd love qualified examiners to apply.

I have also been on the inside and outside and for many different carriers. My opinion is that an examiner would do a better job if he or she had field experience. I agree that this is not necessarily true, but I think it is generally the case. I think a field adjuster position is the much better job between the two. You have the freedom of being outside in the fresh air, a certain degree of freedom (although outside adjusters are under much more scrutiny now than ever before), and you have a company car that you take home with you. I am surprised you are getting field adjusters as applicants, because I happen to think a field adjuster position is far better than an inside examining position. If a field adjuster is applying, I would want to know why. Was he or she terminated? Can't he or she cut it as a field adjuster? Is he or she on thin ice? I really can't imagine why a good adjuster would apply for an examiner position in the first place, unless you are paying quite a bit more than the going rate for a good field adjuster. But if you have a qualified applicant that is a field adjuster, my personal opinion is that he or she would do a better job, because he knows what being a field adjuster involves. I'm not sure what you mean when you say "many have a hard time focusing on the policy, etc." If ANYONE is in the field, he or should be fully cognizant of ALL of these requirements...not just some of them, and that includes being very well versed in coverage. Otherwise, he or she shouldn't even be a field adjuster. A field adjuster that doesn't know these is why and how companies get into trouble in the first place. Why in the world does a company send an unqualified person into the field? These people are likely to miss coverage and exclusions, make numerous mistakes on estimates, and not comply with regulations because they aren't aware of them to begin with.

Revisions : 0   |    Posted:  4/5/2010 6:33:28 PM    |    IP:  Recorded    |    Report this post
P: 4/8/2010 7:33:27 PM
Kevin Hromas

Total Posts: 79
Last Post: 12/15/2010

I agree with what Bernier has to say. (I know ... everyone is saying ... WHAT? The lion and lamb have lain down together? ... Surely the rapture can't be far behind! LOL)

We might diverge a little on the rationale about being a field adjuster is a better job because it depends on so many different perceptions. I personally have left management positions for the sole purpose of returning to the field because that is what I enjoy most about this job. The interaction with insureds, the fact that few claims are the same, the freedom that comes from being in the field and not behind a desk, the responsibility for my OWN work and not in baby-sitting a bunch of people who have different professional standards than I do, etc. (Catch a thread here?)

The fact is that field adjusters have to be more aware of the policy coverages than a claims examiner as they are the one's face-to-face with an insured trying to explain - IN PLAIN LANGUAGE - what may or not be covered. You have to do that on your feet without the fall-back in having the policy in a notebook over your desk. Sometimes there are circumstances of the loss which will give rise to coverage even though there might be contradictory language within the policy itself. An examiner who has never been in the field may have difficulty in understanding the specifics of a particular scenario and make an improper coverage decision.

And NO ... an Inside Adjuster/Desk Adjuster does NOT have the same qualifications or abilities as a field adjuster without having been one at some point in the past.  

The prime reason that so many field adjusters are applying for the position is purely economical. Examiner positions are generally salaried positions and with the present sorry state of the industry right now, there are a lot of independent field adjusters who are starving. THAT is why you are seeing so many virtually begging for the job.

Kevin Hromas - JD, RPA, PLCS
Houston, TX

Kevin Hromas - JD,EGA,RPA,PLCS,WIND Umpire
Houston, TX

www.KevinHromas.com

Revisions : 0   |    Posted:  4/8/2010 7:33:27 PM    |    IP:  Recorded    |    Report this post
P: 4/9/2010 7:14:02 PM
mbernier40508

khromas, I agree 100% with your comments. Most often, an examiners job pays less than a field adjuster position, and you're sitting behind a desk all day. The difference is like night and day. In the field, you get to experience all manner of situations. I just don't understand companies. An examiner job should pay a whole lot more than an adjuster. A really good examiner can catch mistakes that could otherwise cost the company thousands of dollars, and can earn his salary 10 times over.

I was on your side for over 30 years, and was fortunate to have worked for some very fair companies. The decade of the 2000s was the start of a push by all carriers to reduce their loss ratios. That decade saw some of the lowest ratios in history on the property insurance side. As a public adjuster, we don't have the luxury of working for a carrier that might be the fairest of all. If you do, stay with them, by all means. And, by all means, don't let a public adjuster get away with intentionally making a claim for a better roof or better anything. A company owes only for what was in existence.

If all companies handled claims fairly, there would be no need for guys like me. Unfortunately, not all do. The trend today is to have inexperienced adjusters handle large claims and write their own sheets. These adjusters miss lots of needed repairs, and miss including items that an insured wouldn't know about, either form lack of knowledge, or lack of time, or both. Company and independent adjusters generally don't have the time allotted to them to be very detailed in their inspections. How much can an independent bill a company for a loss of X size. He knows that if he bills too much, the company will reduce it, or not use him anymore. How much time can a staff adjuster with 30 files spend on any one file? They have phone calls to return, photos to mount, reports to do, all the while under the scrutinizing of supervisors and managers. Just this month, I allowed a staff GENERAL adjuster to do his own contents inventory on a relatively small loss instead of doing my own first as I usually do. Lo and behold, he missed all kinds of items, some of which were in plain sight. And, this guy wasn't even rushed like some others. This wasn't intentional. It just is what it is. To top it off, the depreciation intended on being taken is twice what it should be.

In the majority of cases, the claims I handle are settled without rancor. I perhaps have a leg up on some others who never were on the company side, and know what it is a company or independent adjuster has to contend with. For the few adjusters that think they know it all, and the companies who think they can interpret things however they please, I admit that I have no problem in setting them up for suit down the road. I am involved with a situation now that will cost a certain major insurance company probably about a million dollars or more on a claim they should have paid at about $75,000.00. They really hosed this poor partially disabled guy. These things happen day in and day out. Not all adjusters and comnpanies are well intentioned. Not all insured's are, either, and I won't touch a fraudulent claim.

When you encounter that next PA, try to see the loss from his perspective. However it happened, he was hired to do the very best possible job for his client, which means getting the absolute most money. That didn't sit well with me when I was on the company side, either. Nothing is cast in stone. Nothing is 100% certain. Some people have forgotten the art of adjusting, which ultimately is reaching an agreement even though you might have had to give some things you didn't think were needed. In my book, I wrote that some people say "I just want what is 'fair'", and my response to that is "Isn't the maximum amount fair? Is something less than that 'fair', or is a settlement in between the minimum and maximum 'fair.'". I'll let others ponder that.

Revisions : 0   |    Posted:  4/9/2010 7:14:02 PM    |    IP:  Recorded    |    Report this post
P: 4/9/2010 8:28:46 PM
Meg

Total Posts: 16
Last Post: 5/31/2010

How does any of that relate to the topic of this thread?  

~Meg~

View Revisions : 1   |    Posted:  4/9/2010 8:28:46 PM    |    IP:  Recorded    |    Report this post
P: 4/10/2010 11:50:51 AM
mbernier40508

Meg,

A lot of what I wrote wasn't on topic. I admit to veering off to another subject, and will never do it again. Will you forgive me for my transgressions?

Revisions : 0   |    Posted:  4/10/2010 11:50:51 AM    |    IP:  Recorded    |    Report this post
P: 4/10/2010 7:00:57 PM
Meg

Total Posts: 16
Last Post: 5/31/2010

These or all of them combined?    

~Meg~

Revisions : 0   |    Posted:  4/10/2010 7:00:57 PM    |    IP:  Recorded    |    Report this post
P: 5/3/2010 6:38:12 PM
chuck.allen77436

Total Posts: 1
Last Post: 5/3/2010

Can I telecommute?

itsmechuck CPCU, AIC

Revisions : 0   |    Posted:  5/3/2010 6:38:12 PM    |    IP:  Recorded    |    Report this post
P: 5/10/2010 1:19:32 PM
JWB1943

Total Posts: 1
Last Post: 5/10/2010

Interesting discussion.

The problem as I see it is that there are very FEW property adjusters left.  Most people out there with adjuster licenses are, with all due respect, nothing more than appraisers.  These people have a hard time spelling "Coverage"  This also goes for the inside people, many who think that having an enforce policy automatically gives coverage.

In addition, there is no training.  A young person coming out has few choices of getting first hand experience from anyone who has been there and done that.  It is a joke that you can get a "Adjuster License" by sitting in a classroom for a day or two and then have the State of Texas declare you as being all wise.  These also applies to the those states that require testing.

The industry has caused this problem, it is all about the money.  What is left is that you get a guy like Islindini looking for a person that probably is very happy doing what he is doing, being in or out, and getting paid commensurate for the expertise that has be accumulated over the years and not storm adjusters who go with the wind.

There are exceptions, but from practical experience far and few between and I hope he is successful in getting the right person.

Joe Bonanno
Property Claim Manager
Dallas, Texas

Revisions : 0   |    Posted:  5/10/2010 1:19:32 PM    |    IP:  Recorded    |    Report this post

Previous Page
Next Page 

Jump to:

Contact Us  |  Back Home  

Ideal BB Version: 0.1.5.3cMessage forum software powered by  the Ideal BB