Most Active

Help   
  Home

Is auto adjuster a good choice for me?
P:  5/18/2010 11:44:31 PM
stevesmailbox

Total Posts: 2
Last Post: 5/19/2010

I was recently laid off from my auto manufacturing job of 10 years and am exploring career options. Auto claims adjuster is something I am seriously considering and looks and sounds interesting, at least from the outside looking in. I like that it is primarily an outside job and you get to work with different people in different situations. I realize this means working in all types of conditions and weather. I also like that it is something that can be done working for large or small companies, or even on my own as an independent adjuster, although this would obviously require the experience first.

I'm in my late 30s and have really only had three careers. I worked in retail grocery for almost 10 years, so I've got plenty of customer service experience. I dabbled around in commercial radio for a few years, both on the air and behind the scenes doing office types of jobs. And my last job, assembling cars and trucks for GM and Toyota until the plant closed down. I wouldn't have thought of insurance adjuster as a possible career move, until the third time it was suggested to my by different people in a relatively short amount of time. The more I explore it, the more it sounds like it may be something for me.

I've got customer service skills, although I realize on a different level than insurance adjusters see. I am fairly familiar with automobiles as I do most of my own repair work and worked assembling vehicles for the past 10 years. I think I am a people person and am fairly outgoing. I like working with people and getting out and experiencing different things. I am able to work well on my own, prioritize, and maintain a schedule. I am not a desk job type of person. I can do that if needed, but prefer not to full time. I prefer to be out in the field working with people or equipment.

I do not have a degree YET. I am currently going to school with the plan of first getting my AA in Business Administration and then a BA supply chain management, although I may change this to something more relevant to the insurance industry if this is something I seriously consider. I currently have an opportunity for the state to pay for some sort of training so that I am able to transition to a new career or pay an employer for on the job training. Looking at information about training for this type of job, I am finding different information. Some schools claim to train you to do the job, although it would seem that the best type of training for this would be in the field. Others train you to get state licensed. Most of the larger companies seem to have fairly comprehensive training programs for new employees.

I am thinking since I know cars fairly well, auto claims adjuster may be the best place for me to start. And then as I become more familiar with the insurance industry and complete my business degree, I can transition to something else within the industry.

Answers to any of the following questions would be appreciated:

(1) Am I correct about my observations about this type of work and why I think it may be a good fit for me?

(2) What are some of the advantages and disadvantages of doing this type of work?

(3) What are some things to consider about this type of work that may not be obvious to someone who hasn't done it before?

(4) What is the best way to start in this type of career? Try to get hired by a 'big' company that does their own training and become trained and licensed that way. Or, use my training opportunity to go to school and get trained and possibly licensed that way and then look for a job?

(5) Researching, most of what I've seen suggests pay to start in the mid to upper $30k for new adjusters and between $50k to $75k for experienced adjusters, is this fairly accurate?

(6) Anything I'm missing?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Revisions : 0   |    Posted:  5/18/2010 11:44:31 PM   |   IP:  Recorded    |    Report this post

There are 3 replies to this message.  There are 3 replies on this page.

P: 5/19/2010 9:28:49 AM
DHB

Total Posts: 18

Hello - great to hear you are looking into the insurance industry.

1 - can not answer if it is a good fit for you, job requires organization and self motivation - time management is key - lots of regulations to abide by, you have done some good research
2 - this is opinion based and i am not going to give mine - maybe someone else could weigh in on this :)
3 - you need to keep in mind - no one likes having a car accident so they are not happy to be dealing with the situation, total loss or repairs - parts oem reman ect... when you write for a company you write for the company's guidelines
4 - depends on what is available around you - what state do you live in? Are there big companies in your state or are independents the norm - some companies will hire and train - Progressive; others don't want you unless you have training and are licensed for that state - research your area
5 - pay differs according to location, company - lots of people out of work so companies can get away with offering less
 6 - are you just looking to write/appraise cars or are you looking to be an adjuster - there is a big difference

Hope this helps a bit
 - Donna

DHB

Revisions : 0   |    Posted:  5/19/2010 9:28:49 AM    |    IP:  Recorded    |    Report this post
P: 5/19/2010 1:30:42 PM
stevesmailbox

Total Posts: 2

Thanks for the response DB. I'm in Northern California, and there big, small, and independent companies here. Some that are hiring people with experience, some that want trainees with no experience. Of course, being a trainee would mean less pay. I'm willing to start at the bottom and work my way up. Looking at available jobs in this area, most job postings for trainees start in the mid to upper $30k, which, although its not very high for this area, seems to be a decent starting salary. I think this may be a good way for me to start and learn about the industry, while I'm still going to school part time. And then once I get some experience and finish school, either move on to different types of insurance or move up within auto and possibly put my business degree to use on the business side.

I realize no one likes being involved in an accident and most of the time, an adjuster is seeing them at not a good time in their lives. However, (looking in from the outside) I think if a person can be empathetic and fair for both the customer and company they work for, and works for a company that allows them to do this, a lot of times they can have a positive impact on people who are dealing with an upsetting damage or loss of a vehicle.

I guess what I'm thinking about the most now is if I should use my opportunity to get trained on the governments tab to continue my business education, seek training for insurance, or forget both of those and just seek an entry level/trainee position in insurance that would provide the training I need to get started and continue my business education on my own while working.

Revisions : 0   |    Posted:  5/19/2010 1:30:42 PM    |    IP:  Recorded    |    Report this post
P: 5/19/2010 2:15:50 PM
DHB

Total Posts: 18

there are benifits to working for a larger company - where you are entry level - they will train you and provide you the needed equipment ( laptop, software, camera, measureing tape ect.. most likely a vehciel due to the travel) Pay grade is good for your area to start in the field. I think you are right and this may be a good way for you to start and learn about the industry, while still going to school part time for your degree. 

your decision on the avenue you pursue - i wish you all the best

just some info when you are looking for openings:

Adjuster is inside/outside file handler and works the claim from taking statements to issuing payment to determining fault/liability ect... depending on the company will determine the scope of responsibiity

Appraiser is an outside estimator who looks at cars, boats, campers ect.. and takes photos, writes estimate - total loss; some companies require them to issue checks for estimated amount/work the drive in ect... depens on the company as to what the scope of responsibiilty is

Departement of Insurance Website for California will have good info for regulation in your state - Note: Independent Insurance Adjuster licenses expire every two years on May 31st of even years - a larger company will often times keep this up for you by providing CEU credit courses vs as an independent you are required to do this on your own

Check back as i am sure others will read your entry and comment or offer their take and the more input the better!

- Donna

DHB

Revisions : 0   |    Posted:  5/19/2010 2:15:50 PM    |    IP:  Recorded    |    Report this post

Previous Page
Next Page 

Jump to:

Contact Us  |  Back Home  

Ideal BB Version: 0.1.5.3cMessage forum software powered by  the Ideal BB