BUILD YOUR FUTURE, WHILE PROTECTING THEIRS.
You will be challenged. Rewarded. And valued for your unique experience, background and perspective.
Join a team where hard work pays off and original thinking is celebrated. As you build your future at Westfield, you will quickly learn that protecting our customers future is at the heart of what we do. We deliver on our promise to help restore lives and rebuild businesses when the unexpected happens. Building relationships has been a part of our culture since 1848.
Be a part of a team that recognizes and appreciates those who take initiative, seek opportunity and strive for innovation in a changing world.
Agribusiness Underwriter 2 Job Summary
Salary Range: $63,414 - $72,927 - $82,439
Under moderate supervision, the Agribusiness Underwriter 2 represents the company among a defined territory of agencies, with responsibility for the production, retention and profit of farm owners and commercial lines agribusiness utilizing advanced technical underwriting ability. Establishes maintains communication between the agencies and company and advises their Region Leader of important issues including agency situations and market trends that may need attention. Makes responsible decisions regarding risk acceptability and pricing. Provides agency service and maintains intra-company communications.
Essential Functions (primary functions and/or reasons the job exists in order of importance)
1. Reviews and underwrites individual applications (new and renewal business) for commercial lines agribusiness and farm owners accounts (written premium primarily $0-$25,000). Determines acceptability of risk in accordance with company guidelines and standards by reviewing the application and risk for exposure identification.
2. Maintains a book of business, under moderate supervision, including endorsements and renewals, and is responsible for the overall profit and growth of the book. Leverages portfolio underwriting of the book and territory leveraging analytics and information garnered through BI and other sources.
3. Establishes and maintains effective communication externally (Between agents and company) and internally (within the company) regarding underwriting procedures and practices, growth/profit goals and objectives, and agency relations.
4. Notifies agencies of adverse underwriting decisions, underwriting requirements, status and declinations. Answers questions from agencies, policyholders or other external contacts and escalates issues to management as necessary. Negotiates with agents to reach positive and profitable outcomes.
5. Coordinates and owns agency business plans and key activities with assistance from Region Leader as needed.
6. Develop and maintain agricultural industry knowledge that is used to consider opportunities, train new producers and assist agencies as they build niche focus.
Desired Qualifications/Experience/Certification/Education (in order of importance)
1. Three or more years of P&C underwriting experience.
2. Must have a demonstrated knowledge of underwriting acumen, profitable results, territory management skills, and pricing acumen.
3. Proven ability to use experience and independent judgment to complete file documentation including pricing rationale.
4. Proven ability to use experience and independent judgment to adjust quotes and endorsements to new or renewal policies based on the assigned underwriting authority.
5. Demonstrates strong negotiation and sales management skills.
6. Demonstrates strong customer service, organizational, and analytical skills.
7. Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal skills, resulting in the ability to interact with all employee levels in the organization and with customers.
8. Effective understanding and application of change management skills/tactics.
9. Reinsurance placement experience.
10. A Bachelors Degree from an accredited university/college or commensurate experience.
11. Possesses a CPCU, CIC, CRM, or AU designation OR in the process of attaining one of these designations.
12. A valid drivers license that conforms to company standards.
Physical Requirements (specific to the role)
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Ability to work effectively in an office environment for 40+ hours per week (including sitting, standing and working on a computer for extended periods of time).
Ability to communicate effectively in a collaborative work environment utilizing various technologies such as: telephone, computer, web, voice, teleconferencing, e-mail, etc.
Ability to travel as required.
Ability to operate an automobile within the parameters of the driving policy.
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed in this role. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, skills, responsibilities, knowledge, etc. These may be subject to change and additional functions may be assigned as needed by management.
Westfield offers a Total Rewards program that focuses on compensation, benefits and wellness, and includes perks like 401(k), pension plan, annual incentive, education reimbursement, flex-time, onsite fitness center and casual dress. Work-life balance, recognition, and learning and career development are all part of a rewarding career with Westfield.
To learn more about Westfield and the opportunities available, please visit us at westfieldinsurance.com.
We are an equal opportunity employer/minority/female/disability/protected veteran.