Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That's Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers - and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
Job Description Summary
The Claim Business Intelligence & Analytics organization has an exciting opportunity for a Data Engineer. This role will focus on supporting data analysis and preparation as well as model implementations for Worker's Comp and General Liability advanced analytics projects. We work closely with our research department and information delivery teams, and this role will lead projects supporting those areas. This position may lead others. Successful candidates will be able to perform analyses and complex data transformations on internal and external data sources (both structured and unstructured). You should be comfortable working with SQL and/or Python. Experience in a cloud platform (i.e. AWS) a plus.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Data Analysis, Acquisition, Preparation, and Exploration:
- Independently review, prepare, design and integrate complex (type, quality, volume) data, correcting problems and recommend data cleansing/quality solutions to issues. Review unfamiliar data sources.
- Develop moderate data derivations and apply with complex business transformation rules and data requirements.
- Perform analysis of complex (type, quality, volume) sources to determine value and use. Determine and recommend data to include in analytical projects.
- Create moderate (technology and features) data visualization techniques to help support data exploration.
- Occasionally present data visualizations to help support data exploration.
- Data Solutions & Analytic Implementations:
- Lead the operationalizing and automation of complex data (more systems, data sets and streams, size of data sets more substantial) products into business.
- Establish frameworks to acquire, integrate and operationalize data.
- Build, test, and implement complex analytic business processes, including pilots and proof of concepts.
- Apply knowledge of current industry trends and techniques to formulate solutions within the context of assigned projects and/or enhancements.
- Data Culture:
- Present and translate complex information in relevant business terms.
- Work within Travelers standards, processes, and protocols.
- Incorporate core data management competencies - data governance, data security, data quality.
- Independently train business users on data products/analytic environment.
- 4 years of relevant experience with data tools, techniques, and manipulation required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- College Degree in STEM related field
- Advanced knowledge of data tools, techniques, and manipulation preferred. Examples include (but are not limited to): Big data and Cloud platforms, Programming languages - SAS, SQL, Spark, Python, Hive, AWS Visualization platforms - QlikView, Tableau, MicroStrategy and Qlik Sense
- Experience: 5 years of relevant experience with data tools, techniques, and manipulation preferred.
- Leadership experience preferred.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Ability to communicate thoughts/designs/ideas in an unambiguous manner and adjusts communication based on audience.
- Exhibits active and effective communication skills with team members - including active listening and effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Effectively contributes and communicates with the immediate team.
- Able to recognize, analyze, and diagnose business and data issues of advanced complexity.
- Able to creatively evaluate alternative solutions.
- Able to reuse previously completed processes.
- Demonstrates the ability to make routine decisions independently and escalates when necessary.
- Ability to build and foster relationships with team, business, and technical partners to achieve objectives.
- Practices objectivity and openness to others' views. Able to recognize and support team priorities.
- Able to coordinate with other technical areas to achieve project/department or division goals.
- Able to manage time and competing priorities and provide management with accurate and timely status information.
- Able to accurately evaluate and estimate tasks.
- Exhibits team leadership and collaborates with partners.
- Beginning to provide feedback and/or coaching.
- May collaborate across the Enterprise and participate in pipeline programs.
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer.
CLICK HERE TO SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION TODAY!