Advance your Career at Liberty Mutual Insurance - A Fortune 100 Company
***Please note this position can sit in Boston or Seattle
The Product Design and Modeling team has a unique opening for a Director II, Data Science, that will lead a team responsible for research to drive price segmentation across small commercial. Price segmentation offers challenges for small commercial, but also unique opportunities. We seek to develop expertise on industry classification, including the data needed to achieve it. The Product Design and Modeling team has best-in-class talent and capabilities. This manager will lead a team that uses a blend of complex modeling and research not requiring modeling, including competitor research, in order to get our fullest set of knowledge to market. This manager will collaborate extensively with teams in and outside of Product Design and Modeling.
The Director II, is responsible for one or more of the following:
- Building complex models to create industry classification within and across lines
- Building analytical expertise about each line and industry group, collaborating with a large set of modelers to incorporate key data points in their models
- Building loss cost and/or loss ratio models for several lines of business
- Understanding where alternative data, third party data or competitor information could be used to enhance our decision-making. Build models of competitor rates.
- Developing a team
- Develop expertise in products requiring price segmentation
- Build complex models to understand how nature of operations drive loss costs, and develop classification systems for price segmentation
- Design mechanisms to allow other modelers to develop expertise in products and industry group classification expertise
- Determine how important alternative data, e.g. competitor prices, is to bring into our decision-making, and build processes to execute on it
- Research premium/loss experience and make recommendations on cross-lines pricing initiatives
- Collaborate with Economics team to understand product performance, investigate gaps and drive for additional accuracy in pricing models
- Explore and utilize advanced modeling techniques (e.g., machine learning techniques such as Elastic Nets)
- Collaborate with Delivery and Portfolio Management teams to help implement new pricing programs
- Bachelor's degree required. Insurance designations such as FCAS or advanced degree in a quantitative field desirable.
- Overall 5-7 years of progressively more responsible experience, including supervisory experience.
- Strong analytical skills with solid understanding of all casualty actuarial techniques, standards, and assumptions. Expert skills in Excel, PowerPoint, and statistical software packages (e.g., SAS, Emblem, R) highly desired.
- Strong knowledge of insurance operations and the procedures of Financial, Underwriting, Claims, Statistical, Information Technology, Legal, and Sales departments.
- High-level knowledge of data sources, tools, and the business (lines, systems, pricing plans), predictive modeling, and code (e.g., SQL) preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to exchange ideas and convey complex information clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and build effective relationships within and outside the organization.
- Ability to give effective training and presentations to senior management and other groups.
- Ability to lead and get work done through others. Ability to coach and develop staff members.
CLICK HERE TO SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION TODAY!