Responsible for technical engineering and construction analyses of large and complex performance, payment and non-contract surety bond disputes and claims. These functions include analyses, oversight responsibility and resolution. Leads teams of consultants, contractors and others in management and coordination of resolution of major claims. Assists Surety Claims and/or Underwriting Department in fulfilling objectives of the unit, including training, audit and administrative functions. Evaluates contractor internal controls structure and job cost systems specifically related to estimating, project management and job site visits on underwriting department engagements. Perform project bid/spread analysis on significant variances identified by underwriting. Provide pre-bid commentary/ risk analysis on atypical projects to underwriting.
Liberty Mutual Surety, a business unit of Liberty Mutual Insurance, is the world's largest global Surety, including in the United States. Conducting business worldwide through fronting relationships and Liberty-owned subsidiaries, we provide bonds in over 60 countries for construction firms, manufacturers and suppliers, and commercial enterprises on an account and transactional basis. We are committed to building mutually profitable relationships by providing smart business solutions, ease of doing business, and consistent, responsive service. Liberty Mutual Surety is dedicated to the communities we serve and highly values a diverse workforce in more than 16 countries.
- Responsible technical and construction analyses of large and complex performance, payment and non-contract surety bond disputes and claims, with some oversight by the Mgr, Construction Services or Mgr, Professional Advisory Services.
- Prepares technical reports and evaluates the surety's loss exposures in all major bond defaults. Duties include: site inspections of projects, evaluation of contract plans and specifications, expert reports, construction schedules, and the preparation of cost to complete analyses. Supervises and coordinates consultants' investigation, analyses and preparation of default reports. With some oversight, makes recommendations as to choice of remedies (default, cure, takeover or relet) and participates in establishing loss and expense reserves. Assists in drafting, negotiating and settling, tender, takeover, completion, joint escrow, sub-contract and other contractual agreements necessary to discharge surety's obligations, working with Surety Counsel. Manages project completions by consultants and or completion contractors.
- Advises trial counsel on engineering and construction management issues. Assists, in coordination with Surety Counsel, in pre-trial preparation, mediation, arbitration, alternative dispute resolution as appropriate, including technical investigative research, interviewing claimants and witnesses, acting as an expert witness in technical matters relating to construction contracts, performance and payment bond claims and financial analysis, including performing financial evaluations and recovery analysis with regard to Chapter 11 and 7 bankruptcy proceedings.
- Is a resource to the surety specialists and support staff in coordination with Surety Counsel in resolution of performance, payment and non-contract bond disputes and defaults, including monitoring work flows and quality and quantity of work by utilizing management reports, surveying claim files and communicating with customers ensures staff adherence to company policies in claims handling, service standards and guidelines. Identifies problems and ensures implementation of corrective action.
- With some oversight and as requested by claims or underwriting, participates in visits to contractors to assess internal control structure, job cost systems and reporting capabilities and how senior management oversees business activities. This process includes gathering contracts, schedules, original estimates, job cost reports, cost-to-complete schedules and interviews of key personnel. The engagement conclusion typically results in a written report outlining key deficiencies with suggestions to improve the operations. Advises underwriting as to key findings.
- With some oversight, reviews project bid-spreads when significant variance is identified by underwriting. Procedures involve securing estimating and bid documentation, known results, contract/RFPs (including drawings and specifications) and interview of head estimator or equivalent.
- Provide pre-bid technical analysis to Underwriting where the prospective project has unusual and/or atypical elements within the bonded scope of work.
- Together with Surety Counsel and Sr Surety Claims Specialists, supports corporate internal audit program to ensure accuracy and adherence to corporate policy and accounting procedures works with Liberty Mutual and outside auditors on financial statements and corporate audit audits work files of outside vendors.
- BA/BS Degree in engineering or related field with minimum of 7 years progressively more responsible surety claims or construction management experience
- A minimum of 3 years of construction management experience required and 5-7 years of proven surety claims management experience preferred
- Proven analytical ability to evaluate and judge claim files
- Demonstrated ability to reduce complex analyses and information into understandable prose and/or oral directives, for conveyance of situations to other persons in the organization for claims handling or training purposes
- Significant exposure to legal process required
- Demonstrated effective communication and interpersonal skills required in dealing with claimants, outside counsel, consultants and members of senior management
- Must be willing to travel and deal with periodic heavy workloads, in an expeditious and professional manner
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession.
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a "Great Place to Work" by Great Place to Work US for the past several years. We were also selected as one of the "100 Best Places to Work in IT" on IDG's Insider Pro and Computerworld's 2020 list. For many years running, we have been named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduates as well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.
DescriptionResponsible for technical engineering and construction analyses of large and complex performance, payment and non-contract surety bond disp
CLICK HERE TO SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION TODAY!