Flames claim life at historic home

 Tuesday, March 12, 2013


A favor for a friend cost a Genesee County man his life. A house that burned down was historic, it was built in the Town of Alexander in the 1830s. The man who died was there house sitting for a friend who was in the hospital. When Grant Whitmore heard the cottage down the road was on fire, he knew he had to act Whitmore said, “I knew Scott was in there, unless he was outside. So I ran down here and grabbed the fire extinguisher and tried to knock down some of the flames. But the flames were coming out the front corner and out the front door.”