Four workers hurt as stairs collapse at Southport, Conn. home

 Tuesday, October 15, 2013

 CT Post

Four workers were injured when two sets of temporary stairs in a home under construction collapsed Friday morning as they carried a cast-iron tub to the third floor. The tub and two staircases toppled into the basement, with one of the staircases falling onto the men, said Assistant Fire Chief Scott Bisson. The workers fell between 15 and 20 feet, Bisson said, and suffered serious but not life-threatening injuries.
Two of the injured men are employed by Electrical Connections Inc. of Newington and the other two by All American Heating and Air Conditioning of Wolcott, Bisson said. Both companies are subcontractors on a house under construction on South Gate Lane, a dead-end street in the Southport section of town. The home at 138 South Gate Lane was purchased in May by an Easton-based LLC for $650,000, and the 74-year-old structure was demolished to make way for the new dwelling.
PropertyWorkers' Compensation
BROWSE RELATED NEWS ARTICLES