Couple Transporting Grill Injured After SUV Explodes When Wife Lights Up Cig

 Monday, August 14, 2017

 Orlando Sentinel

A couple transporting a barbecue grill was injured Sunday after their SUV exploded, Orlando police said. Authorities say the crash happened about 3:30 p.m. near the entrance of the Central Florida Fairgrounds near Colonial Drive and Pete Parrish Boulevard. The couple, who weren’t identified, had a barbecue grill in the back of their red Kia Sorento, Orlando Police Lt. Cindy Lane said. The grill was turned on and the propane tank was open and connected, Lane said. Police said the wife went to light up a cigarette and the SUV exploded. The vehicle continued heading westbound and crashed into a pole, Lane said.