Starbucks Facing Lawsuit For Cleaner-Spiked Beverage

 Thursday, September 24, 2015

 The Salt Lake Tribune

A Davis County woman alleges she suffered severe damage to her esophagus at the Starbucks in Clinton after drinking coffee that contained a cleaning solution. A lawsuit filed last week in Utah’s 2nd District Court claims Cheryl Kingery ingested Urnex, a specialty cleaning product for coffee and espresso equipment, on a July 25, 2012, visit to Starbucks.
In addition to damage to the esophagus — the tube that delivers food from the mouth to the stomach — the toxic substance Kingery drank has caused Burning Mouth Syndrome; loss of taste; numbness in lips and tongue; and oral nerve ending damage, according to the suit.