Natural Gas Buildup From Unpermitted HVAC Work Cause Of Baltimore Explosion

 Tuesday, January 12, 2021

 WBAL

Five months after an explosion leveled three rowhomes and killed two people in Baltimore, Fire Chief Niles R. Ford has provided a cause.

Two people were killed and seven people were injured after three rowhomes exploded on Labyrinth Road in northwest Baltimore in August. Ford reported Tuesday that the explosion was a result of a buildup of natural gas.

Ford reports that on Aug. 9, one day before the explosion, unpermitted HVAC work was being done in the basement of 4232 Labyrinth Road. A buildup of natural gas formed, which was found to be spiked on four gas meters between 1:30 a.m. to 2 a.m. on Aug. 10.

Ford says on the morning of Aug. 10, a stove was lit, igniting the explosion.

Ford clarified that the contractor was licensed, but no proper permits have been found for that address.
PropertyLiabilitySubrogation
BROWSE RELATED NEWS ARTICLES